Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Winding Down from Week 2..





Sawatdee Kha!

We are one day away from teaching week SONG (2)! Friday is my hardest day, and Felix's easiest.. the week has flown by. Over the weekend our friend Rich came and visited and we did all Inburi/Singburi has to offer. Which is pretty much eating and markets.
There was a Friday market, and then we went to Saturday market in Inburi in the morning and a Saturday NIGHT market in Singburi. The markets are awesome though. Especially the one in Singburi you can buy pretty much anything you want. There were rows and rows of food to eat..everything from American (ish) food like fried chicken, donuts.. to cooked bugs, and then all the traditional thai dishes. It was great to walk around and try everything. As far as the rest of the market goes there is everything from trendy clothes, to pet puppies, bunnies, hedgehogs, or big shark looking fish. There was tv's, motorbikes, books, and any random gaget you can think of. Felix, Rich and I also spend the weekend riding the motorbike 3 deep. We all fit on quite snuggly (see photo!).

School has been once again pretty easy this week. Felix had the idea of teaching them about American states and what is in them (California-->movies/hollywood, Flordia--> Disneyworld, Texas--> Cowboys etc.). They have a worksheet of the U.S that they fill in and can draw pictures of the things in the states. It has ended up being a great lesson for all the age groups! Our fellow English teachers have once again succeeded us in stuffing our faces with food all week. On Monday they made us PAD THAI which is a really good thai noodle dish with tons of ingredients and they made it right there for us and taught us how so we can make at home! Every meal consists of not only the main dish too but about 6 other things as well. We are always soo tired and full after, they don't speak much english so all we keep saying is arroi arroi (delicious) ! The next day we had a ton of different thai foods, a curry soup, papaya salad, a spicy salsa, fish, and bananas cooked in coconut milk. And on Wednesday we were healthy again and they made us a giant salad with fried pork and rice with baked bananas and fried durien chips! Of course they always pack up all the leftovers for us too. I talk about eating a lot but here when we aren't teaching..we are eating sooo by default you get to hear all about our giant meals.

We are hoping to go to Korat this weekend where there is a huge annual long boat race with a festival and laser show, dancing, things like that. We are still debating though because until we get PAID for the month we don't have much money. Coming up soon though we have tons of weekend trips planned so things should get exciting.

Love,
Brienne

1 comment:

  1. B. As I type this I have tears in my eyes. I have read your blog, looked at all of the pics(in fact I have enlarged all of them to pick out the fine details), looked at and read your profile. from there I connected to your Nicaragua site. I looked at it again. I saw your broken arm and all of the pics of you with the kids. Then had a sudden up swelling of emotions as I realize of how proud I am of Kendra and you. I just started crying. Both of you are so caring and giving. I could not ask for a better pair of daughters. The paths you have taken so far in your young life is awesome. What a great start to your life. I know that you will have a positive influence in so many lives. Again I am so proud of you and so look forward to seeing you again. I love and miss you dearly. Dad

    ReplyDelete